I See You…

by Steve Bowler on July 8, 2008 · 35 comments

in uncategorized

You may or may not have seen this by now, but some average Joe built a sentry gun out of some servos, a laptop, a paintball gun, and a whole lot of ingenuity (and I’m sure some optical sensor equipment).

But what I love the most about it is:

1. He chose to use the Portal Sentry as the boot up/ready sound, and
  2. He/they then play (painful) games with it to try and test if they can defeat it through trickery.

I couldn’t help but think that this is probably the safest real live test of what it must feel like to go up against the Portal Sentries.

Also: HA HA TRAMPOLINE TEST LAFFO.

Hammer July 11, 2008 at 11:10 pm

This NEEDS to be mass-produced. Or at least custom-made. I want one, this thing is amazing. And think of the military applications for something this simple, I mean it comes in luggage James Bond style.

Al July 12, 2008 at 12:18 am

There are better ones already produces more accurate 89% and hold more paint

Milander July 12, 2008 at 7:45 am

This is amazing, you NEED to take the prototype to an investor to raide the capital for development, you could make MILLIONS off of this…. fantastic and I WANT ONE!!

Ebahn13 July 14, 2008 at 1:41 pm

dude, that was scary how it looked at him when he just stuck his head out from shelter

o.O

Gleeb July 14, 2008 at 7:16 pm

damn man… thats AWSOME!

i live in israel and i can think on endless posibilitys for this.

i would put a hell of alot paintballs with a matirial that can be spoted from air.

shoot the terrorists full of thouse when they try to cross the fence, then we can catch then becouse we can see where they are… not deadly and super effective. GOOD JOB.

sorry about the spelling

Damn good Idea July 15, 2008 at 7:03 pm

That is one of the best ideas I’ve heard in a while gleeb.
Get some sort of infra-red glow paint. That would be fucking awesome.

C.o.Yemen July 19, 2008 at 4:15 am

eeeerectin’ a sentry!

Vorpal July 19, 2008 at 6:47 am

Spy sappin’ mah sentry!

Gregory Warrren July 22, 2008 at 5:45 pm

The issue is that it’s motion-activated. Or at least, it looks like it. If you just stop moving, it’ll probably stop firing at you.

Editor, The SciTech Journal July 23, 2008 at 12:04 am

Nice video. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Keep it up man. Thumbs up to you :-)

... July 23, 2008 at 4:47 am

would you stop running if something was shooting at you?

Andrew Muller July 23, 2008 at 9:25 am

That Is Bloody Amazing, just think if it was used in the Army. Clear off and area and set a sentry, if the sentry is disrupted, you will know about it….the possibilities are endless.

Online Advertising July 23, 2008 at 10:01 am

This guy figured out how to shoot himself awesome! But really its brilliant

Chris July 24, 2008 at 6:28 am

This is amazing, but actually kind of freaky, too. I can easily imagine how someone could make one of these that didn’t shoot paintballs.

Nick July 25, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I’m sorry, but this is the kind of thing that the world would be better off without.

bobfunk July 26, 2008 at 11:01 pm
Gary July 27, 2008 at 8:13 pm

ACLU has already reviewed and rejected it as grossly inhumane in comparison to beheadings by (praise Allah) Islamic terrorists. When are we going to get things right and just let them beat the Hell out of us and beg for more? Nothing less will satisfy the ACLU, MoveOn.org, Pelosi, Reid, Kennedy, et al. WE are the bad guys. End of discussion. Which way to the chopping block? I’ve decided not to “submit” nor follow Sharia Law.

BTW — news to budding terrorists — they ran out of virgins this week. You’ll have to make out with an old stack of your dad’s Playboys. Women now old enough to be your mother! Ewwww! Bummer, dude. Want to reconsider that offer of a scholarship to night school rug making school?

Scott July 27, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Eh, it will be impressive if they can find a way to make it not shoot team members. I imagine that’s crucial for military applications as well.

RPO July 28, 2008 at 9:09 am

I want that.

Laminated Samurai July 29, 2008 at 9:19 am

Nah. That guy didn’t beat him to it. That turret is remote controlled. A very nice one, by the way, but it’s remote controlled. This one is completely independent. However, adding the software to the R/C turret would be absolutely sick. Plus, some kind of color recognition for team play.

Recruiting Services July 29, 2008 at 11:41 am

necessary, i think not!

Dill July 30, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Can you say….Perfect dark?

Lol? July 30, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Did anyone else notice it looks like it has a penis?

pas'ra'chilli July 31, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Yes, I suppose this is where war is headed.

Violent Sleep August 1, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Holy crap…I WANT ONE! That thing is amazing!

Bill Vincent August 2, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Sadly, the ATF, or some other agency will likely put the kibosh on this eventually, if/when he tries to market it. It probably would not be hard to modify it to fit a real weapon, making it highly illegal. The ingenuity and skills are highly commendable.

Tom! August 4, 2008 at 6:54 am

hahaha! laptop gun and a half… i can’t believe nobody had come up with this… hilarious

Jesse August 5, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Ok, flame me all you want, but it’s clearly remote controlled. I mean at first I was shocked at it and thought it was fucking awesome, except I viewed it more intently and it hit me.
- It won’t fire on you when your walking 15 feet away (yes, by the obstacle, I saw u walk up and then start to run)
- With that in mind, it shoots at a moving vehicle 50 yards away.
- It changes its fire rate.
- It’s too unsteady. Even a cheap optical device would have kept it steady and focused on the moving subject.
- Half the time the gun is following, not leading the target.
-When you jump off screen the gun magically stops shooting at you.

Rig August 6, 2008 at 10:06 pm

As for ways to make this team-play compatible, bright colors, sound devices (if it has audio recognition, if not get it), or lightbulbs/LEDs. Could also re-mod it to run off of IR cameras and have IR reflective patches.

Anand Manikiam August 16, 2008 at 11:16 am

Super …. that is amazing. I think the results would be a lot better if the gun has less recoil (gun needs to have dampening) … But the image recognition part seems to work great … Good luck with your endeavour(s).

Boyan Yurukov August 18, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Where are the specs?!!!

ErethAkbe September 24, 2008 at 12:07 am

after all your analisis of GLaDOS, i need to ask you:
what do you think about al “Portal Prelude” crap without her???

Ultratog October 13, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Everyone is saying how this should be implimented for war. 1. who says the government isn’t working on lethal versions of these already? and 2. the reason it isn’t used yet by the army is that it is motion sensored. what is to stop it from shooting civilians? or even our troops? it’ll shoot at anything that moves.

Synyster_Shadows December 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Gave that Jeep a nice new paintjob XD

And the guy on the trampoline got pwned hahaha

{ 1 trackback }